Photobucket

Photobucket

We Can't Reach You, Hartford
An investigative history of the Hartford Circus Fire of July 6th, 1944. Nominated for a Fringe First at the 2006 Edinburgh Fringe Festival.
Daguerreotype
In the twilight of his life, famed photographer Matthew Brady must choose between the life he has built and the legacy he wants to leave behind.
Tone Clusters
Renowned prose author Joyce Carol Oates explores honesty, perspective, and denial through one couple's harrowing attempt to save the person they love
Sunday, August 05, 2007
notes from the box office
Hello everyone,

I'm writing to you from the box office at the Abingdon, where I have spent essentially the entire weekend. I hear it's been hot and muggy outside; I wouldn't really know. As much as this may sound like complaining, though, it's been truly wonderful. We've had fantastic houses all through the weekend, with Lunchbox-- the sketch comedy group performing at 10 p.m. after Daguerreotype each night-- selling out essentially each night. D-type also sold out last night, though much of that was due to Nick's mom buying over a third of the tickets.

I haven't had much of a chance to talk to the audience after the shows, spending my time moving daguerreotype plates and disassembling the bed and whatnot. It's much easier for me to gauge Lunchbox's audience reaction from my perch in the box office-- sometimes the walls actually shake with laughter. For Daguerreotype, though, I can only assume the audience is reacting the same way I am, getting chills in certain parts and finding something new each time I see the play. Even when I've been standing in the lobby watching Zach do his quick changes from being Abraham Lincoln to a young, naive soldier, I believe it fully every time I see him perform. That's one of the things I always find amazing about theater-- the people you know, completely transformed before you. When I sit in the front row and Edward delivers his monologue a foot and a half away, I know he can see me, but in a way, he's not Edward anymore. Mathew Brady has no idea I'm there, and I honestly feel that.

This is all a roundabout way of saying that things are going very, very well, and if you're reading this and haven't come to the play yet, well, what are you waiting for? It's going to be hard for me to go back to my job on Monday, what with my head back in the Civil War and a box office still.
posted by Katey @ 2:21 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Who We Are
Previous Posts
Archives
Our Kind of Theater
Reading Material