Photobucket

Photobucket

We Can't Reach You, Hartford
An investigative history of the Hartford Circus Fire of July 6th, 1944. Nominated for a Fringe First at the 2006 Edinburgh Fringe Festival.
Daguerreotype
In the twilight of his life, famed photographer Matthew Brady must choose between the life he has built and the legacy he wants to leave behind.
Tone Clusters
Renowned prose author Joyce Carol Oates explores honesty, perspective, and denial through one couple's harrowing attempt to save the person they love
Wednesday, July 25, 2007
"We Named the Dog Indiana," or: Zeitgeist A-Go-Go
Hi all. It's Jon, the Story Project's publicity guy.

The powers of the publicist can be used for both good and evil; back up, let me explain.

I have a wee love affair with the phenomenon known as "google alerts;" basically, you set up terms via google, and when they show up in websites or on various news sources, you get a piping-hot email notice delivered fresh to your inbox. I've set up about fifteen of these for the Story Project; mostly, they're "Mathew Brady," "Daguerreotype," "American Story Project," "Wesleyan theatre," "New York Photography," etc.

Just in case, I've also set up alerts for each company member's name. I now know more about people I barely know than you'd ever know.

The tense on that last sentence gave me a headache. Anyway, long story short (TOO LATE!) last week, the Mathew Brady alert pinged and sent me this obit from the Washington Post.
John Szarkowski spent most of his career launching the careers of others; it's a cogent, well-written and poignant obit, But I found myself asking--"Where's the Brady connection?"

Well...

"He liked to describe himself as a "dumb hick," but he played clarinet in an orchestra as a young man and graduated from the University of Wisconsin with a degree in art history. He began taking pictures when he was 11 and named his dog after Civil War-era photographer Mathew Brady."

I'm a big fan of pop-culture pet naming (hell, I wrote a play about it). A news story that name-checks Mathew Brady as a dog? Last thing I expected to receive. It kind of makes me want to get a really mean-spirited cat named Edward Albee, for similar reasons.

It's a strange world out there; let's keep it that way.
posted by Jono @ 2:20 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Who We Are
Previous Posts
Archives
Our Kind of Theater
Reading Material