Photobucket

Photobucket

We Can't Reach You, Hartford
An investigative history of the Hartford Circus Fire of July 6th, 1944. Nominated for a Fringe First at the 2006 Edinburgh Fringe Festival.
Daguerreotype
In the twilight of his life, famed photographer Matthew Brady must choose between the life he has built and the legacy he wants to leave behind.
Tone Clusters
Renowned prose author Joyce Carol Oates explores honesty, perspective, and denial through one couple's harrowing attempt to save the person they love
Saturday, August 25, 2007
From the Fringe
This is actually my first post, so I will begin by introducing myself. I'm Greg, lighting designer for The American Story Project. I've been fortunate enough to have worked on all of the groups plays to date, including joining the company in Edinburgh last year for We Can't Reach You, Hartford. Which brings me to my impetus for finally adding my voice to our blog. Last year on our day off, many from the group went to see Radio, which played at a time when we couldn't see it. I went hiking instead. But last night Radio returned to the Fringe for a two-night engagement at our beloved Bedlam Theater, and I was fortunate enough to be sitting in the audience. I couldn't begin to speak about why I think it was not enjoyed as thoroughly by New York audiences, as Steve has done, because it was simply a great show. I thought that the perhaps cliche storylines of space travel and the Kennedy assassination were not at all what gave the piece its depth and poignancy. For me, the best part was the complete lack of these symbols on stage. The character was the son of the leading flag distributor in the nation, the man who made the flag that woul be left on the moon, and not a single flag appeared on stage. I'm beginning to think that this choice to leave anything but the individual out of the show was the reason it was powerful for me. When it was over, I just kept staring at the stage, trying to find the source of the emotion that I still felt pouring from it, but it was empty. And I felt like that was part of the point. So for me the "Americaness" of the piece was irrelevant, because it was really about this one kid and how his relationships with people were hidden behind these cliche stories that have become silly and too big to represent the people who were there to see them through.
posted by Greg @ 7:52 AM  
1 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Who We Are
Previous Posts
Archives
Our Kind of Theater
Reading Material