Photobucket

Photobucket

We Can't Reach You, Hartford
An investigative history of the Hartford Circus Fire of July 6th, 1944. Nominated for a Fringe First at the 2006 Edinburgh Fringe Festival.
Daguerreotype
In the twilight of his life, famed photographer Matthew Brady must choose between the life he has built and the legacy he wants to leave behind.
Tone Clusters
Renowned prose author Joyce Carol Oates explores honesty, perspective, and denial through one couple's harrowing attempt to save the person they love
Thursday, August 16, 2007
Can't It Be Both?
In one of the several versions of his Daguerreotype review circulating the Internet (seriously, I count at least 3 different versions), Aaron Riccio says:


Reading this, Jess and I (independently of one another) asked: Can't it be both?

The issue here is, of course, one that I struggle with constantly when working on our plays: the conflict between the universal and the particular, between our personal histories and the histories we read in textbooks. That is to say, a lot of what interests me about the mission of The American Story Project is how the lives of individuals can be understood in the context of larger historical progress. My stance has always been that History with a capital "H" is driven foward by the trials and tribulations of personal history, that our struggles form some sort of irresistable foward progress.

I'm sort of a Hegelian, sue me.

As such, I understand that my incessant synthesis of the particular with the universal isn't always the best (or theatrically speaking, most dramatic) idea. Nor is it a belief that always ends in illumination or profundity. It tends towards the didactic and the pretentious. I know these things and I'm beginning to understand the dangers involved in this kind of history and these kinds of stories. But what I don't understand is why telling the story of Mathew Brady precludes telling the story of the unsung Civil War, why a story about a historian who is obsessed with celebrity, afraid of losing his wife, and losing his eyesight can't also be a story about how his sense of history is myopic, populist and unwilling to grapple with the grim and violent realities of war. I think there's a certain symmetry to it. And I don't think these are two issues that can necessarily be separated. But then again, I wrote the thing.

Now, I understand saying that these parallels aren't fully developed or realized (one of the problems we knew going into this play was it was divided into two distinct sections: first, "Brady," then "Brady's lecture"), or that the subtext of these layered stories is misleading, unfair, or idealistic (my sense of historical responsibility isn't for everyone). I've come to terms with how Daguerreotype tends to celebrate the achievements of dead white men (though I don't think I necessarily let Western hegemonic patriarchy off the hook either). I'd even allow that these concerns can make the play boring (I did catch more than one audience member yawn). But what I can't yet accept is the idea that I have to choose. That I can only tell one kind of story at a time, that I have to choose between the particular and the universal, between the tragedy of Mathew Brady and the tragic era he lived through. Maybe it's the failed novelist in me (as opposed to the historian, the playwright, the dramaturg, or the journalist), but I thought that this was the whole point of telling stories like this; I always thought the whole point was that it should be both.

Your thoughts?
posted by stephen @ 5:19 PM  
3 Comments:
  • At 7:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Here’s a gimmicky answer: I think you AND the reviewer are both right. Yes it can be both, for the reasons you stated (among others) and you don’t necessarily have to choose, but in the case of this performance it felt like a decision that never got made.

    cheers,
    --dhh.

     
  • At 10:16 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hi, Stephen~
    I gave Edward a review that included the same sort of question--what do you want the play to be about most? I don't think it's just about two things, as the review suggested. It's about Brady, and it's about creating images of things hitherto seen only by people in the midst of them, and it's about the Civil War, and it's about war in general and how horrifying it is. Right?
    Hartford was simpler, especially in its Edinburgh version, because it was about the fire and the truth, two matters being served by all the characters and scenes. And the longer version expanded on those ideas.
    I love what you are doing, and the second half of the play had tremendous dramatic and psychological energy. I hate to say that since the first half had more Edward! But your writing got its feet under it in the second half. Might that be because the small stories were serving one unified purpose?
    I wish I could see it again or read the script, since I am remembering one viewing.
    You're all doing beautiful work,
    Edward's Mom

     
  • At 12:10 PM, Blogger Endergirl said…

    Ok, so here's my thought:

    Brady is our window. In order to look out at the backyard (meaning: the Civil War), we must first look through the window. So yes, we should probably know something about our window.
    Here's where my metaphor breaks down: what I caught glimpses of but wanted oh so much more of is how the view of the backyard changes the window itself. My strong belief is that we go to theater to see extraordinary people change in ways we didn't think possible. What better than a proud man at the end of his life CHANGING because he sees a completely different point for his life's work. Very powerful. So then, it can be about both, but what I thought I saw you all drawn to was how the views of the war changed this man. So then, both must be a part of it.
    I agree with Edward's mom that the second half had more fire... but this I think was simply because we were changed by it, and Brady was changed by it. Also the staging was friggin' tight.
    Forgive me if I'm putting something on your piece where it doesn't belong. Those are my thiz-oughts.
    -KMac

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Who We Are
Previous Posts
Archives
Our Kind of Theater
Reading Material